Laguna Quilotoa is a water filled volcanic crater located in the backcountry of the Cotopaxi province of Ecuador.  To get to it, you must travel all or some portion of the Quitoloa Loop, a ring of small towns and villages populated mostly by Ecuador’s indigenous people with their centuries old way of life.  Bus travel is infrequent in many portions of the loop so it takes some planning to get around.  We began by traveling from Banos to Latacunga, which is sort of a gateway to the Quilotoa Loop.  We spent one night at Hostel Tiana in Latacunga and then put what we would need to take with us in our backpack and stored our luggage at the hostel.

The town park in Chugchilan

Town Park in Chugchilan

On Saturday morning, March 5, 2011, we caught a bus out of Latacunga headed to the village of Chugchilan via the town of Sigchos.  The bus left Latacunga at 11:30am and arrived in Chugchilan at about 3:00pm.  We stayed at the Cloud Forest Hostel in Chugchilan which is listed in the guidebook with a population of 100.  It sits at 3,200 meters above sea level (10,500 feet) and is often used as a jumping off point for visiting the crater.

Sunday has more bus service in this area than for other days of the week so we were told that we would be able to catch a bus at 9:00am that would take us to the Quilotoa crater.  There were several people from the Cloud Forest Hostel going that way.  The bus arrived at about 9:30am and we all got on for the ride.  The 22km road to Quilotoa is a hair raising ride with breath taking scenery.  The road is dirt and narrow and nearly washed away in many places.  Since we got a late start we arrived in Quilotoa a little later than expected at just before 11:00am.  We had been told to try to get there before 11:00am or 11:30am since the clouds tend to roll in at about that time and can obscure the crater.

Laguna Quilotoa

After paying our entry fee of $2.00 each we made our way to the crater’s edge.  The rim of the crater sits at 3,914 meters above sea level (almost 13,000 feet).  We stepped to the edge and marveled at the sight in front of us.  The crater is 2 miles across and the surface of the water is about 800 feet down from the rim of the crater.  The crater was free of clouds at that moment but they were hugging the outer edges of the rim.  The blue/green water shimmered and drew a contrast against the dark, sheer rock face that rose up from the water.  (Note:  I borrowed the picture above from a site on the internet since we couldn’t obtain such a shot with our camera and vantage point.  All other photos are ours.)

View down getting very foggy

Fog and Rain Roll In

You can see an area that looks almost like a beach at the water’s edge in the left foreground of the big photo above.  You can follow a path down to that point and then either hike back up or rent a ride on a horse.  We began to hike down and immediately the clouds and fog started rolling in to obscure the lake and it started to rain.  As the rain fell harder and harder and we could almost not quite make out the lake through the rain and fog, we realized that since our limited wardrobe for the trip to Chugchilan included only one pair of jeans each and that if they got wet we would be wearing wet jeans for the next 2 days.  Not a pleasant prospect.  So we reversed and hiked back up to the top and found a hot beverage and a snack.

We were told to catch a 1:00pm bus back from Quilotoa to Chugchilan.  So we went back A mother with a baby dropping off her load for the next busout to the road to wait.  Fortunately, the rain had stopped by this time but it was still foggy.  While we waited, an indigenous woman came along the road with a small boy and leading a burro which had a large bag tied on its back.  A short distance past us, she stopped, unloaded the bag from the burro onto the road and started leading the burro back up the road.  The little boy stayed with the bag.  A short time later, two little girls, maybe 6 and 2, walked down and joined the little boy.  Maybe 15 minutes later the mother rejoined them, sans burro and certainly they were waiting for a bus heading in the other direction.  Now there is very little traffic on this road so the children were in no danger but clearly this is how life works in the remote Andean countryside.

We were still waiting for our bus at 1:40 when a local man in a pickup truck pulled up and asked where we were going.  We told him Chugchilan and he said he would take us for $20.00.  We said that we were waiting for the bus and he said, no bus.  This is common for these men to provide a “shuttle” service to and from Quilotoa to fill in for the infrequent bus service.  I offered $15.00 and he said no, that it’s a long drive and that we would be in the cab with him, warm and dry.  So we agreed and got into the truck.  No more than 1/4 mile into our drive, he stopped for another couple on the side of the road and asked if they wanted a ride to Chugchilan.  They said yes and he said the cost is $5.00 each, they countered with $3.00 each and he accepted but they had to ride in the back which was covered but not enclosed.  I then tried to extract a discount since he now had additional income to cover his costs but he would have none of it.  I guess I’m not a very good negotiator.  Especially in Spanish.


On the road from Chugchilan to Sigchos

After another night at the Cloud Forest Hostal it was time to return to Latacunga.  Our choices were to catch a bus at 4:00am or wait for a milk truck (lechero) which usually makes the trip from Chugchilan to Sigchos at around 9:00am.  In either case, we would be dropped in Sigchos and wait to catch a bus at 2:30pm from Sigchos to Latacunga.  We opted for the milk truck.  At around 9:30am, we had not yet seen the lechero but a bus came up the road, backwards.  It backed up the hill into the village of Chugchilan.  We figured, well, if it’s heading to Sigchos it will have to come back past us and we could flag it down.  Just as it started back in our direction the milk truck came by heading into the village but since there was a bus there we took it.  No idea why it was there at that time, it’s not a scheduled service but it took us to Sigchos.  At that point we had about 4 hours to kill before the bus to Latacunga.  Nothing much to do except watch the kids throw water balloons at each other, a Carnival tradition.

Once back in Latacunga, we retrieved our luggage and spent another night at Hostel Tiana before heading on to Quito on Tuesday morning, March 8.


3 thoughts on “Quilotoa

  1. You truly are getting into the rural areas. Population 100 reminds me of growing up in Clinton. Leaving children unattended really strikes a cord. It’s hard to allow a child to go in a bathroom at the movies these days without wondering if they will be safe.
    The crater was worth the trip, I’m sure. The color of the water was just beautiful.
    Sounds like quite the adventure, so funny about the fee in the truck. They know how to make money from those wealthy Americans.
    Spring teased us, but it was short-lived, back to mid-thirties and “spitting snow”, as my Mother would say.
    Take care, and keep those pictures and documentary coming.
    Love y’all,

  2. I agree with Nancy–wouldn’t it be nice if our children were safe everywhere they go in the world, including the US. The photos are beautiful, but then the countryside itself is beautiful. This is the REAL Ecuador, hunh! Not just the touristy part. How have you found out about all these places–you may not be the best negotiator, but you seem to be doing fine in the resourceful department. I’m sure Valerie agrees and feels perfectly safe with your ability to obtain needed transportation, etc. You’re definitely “doing” Ecuador. Have you seen every pertinent sight in the country?
    Why are you back in Quito? Are you leaving the country?

    Sorry I didn’t respond sooner, but I was involved in exams at school this week, but as of 3:30 p.m. today, I’m OUT for 2 whole weeks–SPRING BREAK!!
    Marquita’s daughter Tracy who was caught in the Thailand tsunami a few years ago, is currently working for the State Dept in the Tokyo embassy for 2 yrs. Fortunately she had been in DC on business and was in the air ready to land moments before the quake hit. They were diverted to Osaka to land and she’s currently trying to catch a “bullet” train to Tokyo. Keep her in your thoughts. This girl is a tsunami magnet!!
    Keep those cards and letters comin’

  3. Hi you two,
    The crater was breathtaking! I am trying to get Michael “caught up” on your adventures, I know he will enjoy them as much as me. With the time change, it is now very dark again in the morning and hard to “rouse the boys”. The weather this weekend was wonderful. Be safe and know that we love hearing from you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s