For the second portion of our trip, we took a short flight from Kona to Lihue on the island of Kauai. Known as the Garden Island, Kauai is the 4th most visited of the Hawaiian Islands, behind Oahu, Maui and Hawaii. However, you could say it “punches above its weight” when it comes to natural beauty and dramatic landscapes.
Following the passing of Umeno Morita, Valerie’s Mom, the family began making plans for a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii, Umeno’s birthplace, to scatter her ashes. That trip began on June 4, 2022, approximately one year after her passing. We flew into Kona, HI, and stayed in Fairway Villas by Outrigger in Waikoloa.
What do you do when winter tightens its icy grip? Time to visit California.
On Feb 8, we flew to LA to enjoy a few days with Steve and Wende as well as Valerie’s family. Up first on the 12th was a baby shower for Chrissy. Valerie’s sisters also made the trip from Maryland for the shower. Continue reading
We started out the month by spending a few days in Frederick, MD, once again pet sitting for Tino. Our first time looking after Tino was back in August.
In the middle of December, we traveled to San Antonio to visit with Ralph and Carlie. This was our first opportunity to see them since they sold their home in California and moved to Texas to be near their grandchildren. They purchased a home on 2 acres located about 15 minutes outside of San Antonio. Add some miniature horses, a regular sized horse, some ducks, chickens and dogs and you have a mini-ranch. We had a great time, great food and did a little sightseeing.
During Christmas, Chrissy and Johnny came out to Maryland to join the family for holiday festivities.
In late September/early October, we flew to Los Angeles to visit friends and family. In no particular order, we did the following:
- With Steve and Wende, we went to downtown LA and toured the Grammy Museum, took a ride on Angels Flight and stopped into Grand Central Market.
- On another day, we went to the “Old World Village” in Huntington Beach to sample their Octoberfest celebration.
- Over the weekend, Steve and Kevin went to San Francisco and attended the San Francisco 49ers game, playing against the Seattle Seahawks. Unfortunately, SF lost but we enjoyed the trip.
- While we were in SF, Valerie visited with Jason, Ashley, Tad and Mia. She also had lunch with her long-time friend, Delcy.
- We took a trip out to Prescott, Arizona, to visit Tim and Dinah. We enjoyed some nice hiking, and I had a thrilling ride with Tim in their Porsche 911.
- The timing of our visit coincided with birthdays for Steve as well as for Valerie’s son, Tim. Steve and Wende hosted a nice birthday cookout for the family.
- Valerie and I visited with her Aunt Amy (her Mom’s sister).