(Click here for more photographs.)
From the time of its founding in 1871 until the end of the 1960’s, Birmingham was the primary industrial center of the South. Its leading industries were the production of iron and steel, making it known as the Pittsburgh of the South. In addition, both rails and railroad cars were produced in Birmingham, making it a significant hub of railroading. Between 1902 and 1912 four large office buildings were constructed at the intersection of 20th Street and 1st Avenue leading to the nickname of “The Heaviest Corner on Earth”.