Halawa Valley sits at the far eastern end of the island of Molokai. It is literally at the end of the road about 27 miles from the town of Kaunakakai. It is thought that native Hawaiians came to this valley as early as 650 AD and was home to as many as 10,000 people at one time. In modern times, a tsunami in 1946 wiped out many of the remaining taro plantations and led to a further decline in the population. Today there are are fewer than 20 residents.