Piedras Blancas Light Station

(Click here for more photographs.)

The Piedras Blancas lighthouse was first illuminated on February 15, 1875.  A mere 8 years later a severe earthquake caused some damage about 70 feet up from the  base.  Finally in 1948, after additional earthquakes, the determination was made that the upper three floors had to be removed.  Therefore, the lighthouse stands at 70 feet tall rather than the original 100 feet.  The original Fresnel lens was preserved and is on display in the nearby community of Cambria.

20170907_100649

The lighthouse is located on a very scenic stretch of California coastline 5.5 miles north of San Simeon.  In 2001 the Bureau of Land Management assumed management of the site with the objective to restore the light station to its period of greatest historical significance.  The non-profit Piedras Blancas Light Station Association raises funds and provides volunteer assistance for restoration and maintenance.  They also conduct scheduled tours which provided us the opportunity to tour the site.

Advertisements

Cork, Ireland and Cliffs of Moher

From Liverpool, we took to the air and flew on Ryanair from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to Cork, Ireland.  Cork (pics), in the south of Ireland in County Cork, is considered Ireland’s “second city”.  It sits along the River Lee with the city center actually occupying an island with the river split around it.  This island center is compact and very walkable with a mix of narrow pedestrian lanes.

On River Lee

Continue reading